HOME         |         ABOUT         |         RESOURCES & ADVICE         |         DIY PROJECTS         |         PARTY THEMES         |         PRINTABLES         |         SUBMISSIONS         |         CONTACT

DIY | Yarn Wrapped Letters

I saw this DIY project on Let Birds Fly before Christmas and thought, what a great idea for a handmade Christmas gift? My girlfriends and I have an Annual Girls Christmas Dinner every year and I thought I would make everyone yarn wrapped initial ornaments. Let me tell ya, I usually consider myself pretty crafty but my ornaments turned out absolutely nothing like this. My excuse it that my letters were much smaller and the wrapping of the yarn was difficult! Whatever makes you feel better, right? :) Anyway, I am ready to give this another try. I wanted to have the initial of the baby boy at the baby shower I'm planning & I think a yarn wrapped one will be a great addition to the party and will not only serve as decoration but could also double as a gift for the mommy-to-be. (Too bad Jenny is one of my dearest friends and she will be reading this. Just act surprised, OK?)

Anyway, on to this simple tutorial from Bailey at Let Birds Fly:

Materials:
Block Letters
Yarn
Scissors

From Bailey - i've had these block letters for a while (mine and my husbands initials), but i didn't know what i wanted to do with them. i was about to resort to painting (which is fine, i just wanted to try something different), but i've been seeing on different blogs the popularity of yarn, including simply wrapping things in yarn. which is FANTASTIC! i had yarn in the house, so that's what i decided to do. hope you like it! 
[Step 1] Begin wrapping the letter with the yarn, my recommendation is to wrap horizontally at first. (Though really you can do it any way you want!) and unless you have to wrap a letter with a hole (Bs, Os, Qs, As, Ps, Ds, Rs, etc) you don't need to cut a particular length of yarn.

[Step 2] Tackle the more difficult areas first (my example: the middle part of the K). It doesn't have to look pretty in the beginning.

[Step 3] Keep wrapping, and make sure the "uglies" (where you have to criss-cross to get to other parts of the letter) are on the back side.

[Step 4] Make sure you cover every single bit of the letter, even the sides.

[Step 5] When you're done wrapping horizontally, start wrapping over that vertically, you don't have to, though, this is just how I do it. I learned that I like to wrap the letters in the direction that I would write them. Does that make sense?

[Step 6] On the back, tie off your yarn (using some of the already wrapped yarn) and snip off the extra. You're done! Now you can decorate with your masterpiece, and embellishments, use them as tools to help your child learn his ABCs, or whatever!
How gorgeous are these?

Design & Photography: Bailey from Let Birds Fly

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...